2011 MiLBY Award nominees feature many Giants minor leaguers
The annual Minor League Baseball Awards (The MiLBYs) will be announced in a few weeks and fans have a chance to vote for their favorite minor league baseball players, teams, and moments.
Several Giants minor leaguers are on the ballot this year:
- Gary Brown (Class-A Advanced San Jose) has been nominated for the Top Hitter award. Brown batted .336/.407/.519 with 14 HR, 34 doubles and 80 RBI. He stole a whopping 53 bases and scored 115 runs. As of today, he trails Winston-Salem’s Ian Gac in fan voting, 60% to 15%.
- Joe Panik (Class-A Short Season Salem-Keizer) has been nominated for Best Hitter for Class-A Short Season. The Giants’ top pick in the June draft topped the Northwest League in batting (.341), hits (92), OPB (.401) and RBI (54) en route to winning the MVP award. Currently, he’s fourth in fan voting, garnering just 12% of the vote.
- Eric Surkamp (Double-A Richmond) has been nominated for Best Double-A Starter of 2011. He led the Eastern League in ERA (2.02) and was second in strikeouts (165) before his promotion to the big leagues. Right now, Surkamp is fifth in fan voting, with just 4% of the vote.
- Chris Heston (Class-A Advanced San Jose) has been nominated for Best Class-A Advanced Starter of 2011. Heston racked up 12 wins in the hitter-friendly Cal League and led the circuit with a 3.16 ERA. He sits last (sixth) in fan voting today at just 3%.
- The San Jose Giants have been nominated for Best Class-A Advanced Team of 2011. While San Jose had the best record in Class-A Advanced (90-50), they were unable to capture their third consecutive Cal League championship, losing to Lake Elsinore. San Jose is tied for third place in fan voting right now, at just 9%.
- In the category of Best Class A Advanced Game of 2011, San Jose Giants catcher Hector Sanchez has been nominated for his 15-game RBI streak in May. That game is fifth in fan voting at just 4%.
- The Richmond Flying Squirrels may take home the bacon, er, I mean the Best Theme Night award. The Giants’ Double-A affiliate held a Tribute To Bacon Night on May 24. Fans who attended that game got to enter a drawing for a year’s worth of free bacon and there was even an appearance by Kevin Bacon (no, not THE Kevin Bacon. A local detective by the same name got to throw out the first pitch). With 23% of the fan vote, it’s the second-most popular promotion right now, behind — ironically – Memphis’ Organ Donor Night (34%).
- The only appearance the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies are making in the 2011 MiLBY Awards nominations is in the Miscellaneous Promo Of The Year category for their Taco Truck Throwdown. That promotional night, which featured eight taco trucks from Visalia to Madera gathered at Chukchansi Park, leads the pack at 42% of the vote.
C’mon, Giants fans. Help your minor league affiliates win some MiLBYs! Go here to vote.
- Will Timmy be a Giant in 2014?
- Is San Francisco the new Titletown USA?
- News & notes — Nov. 11, 2012
- We are the champions!
- Giants at Tigers: World Series Game 4 preview
- Giants at Tigers: World Series Game 3 preview
- Tigers at Giants: World Series Game 2 preview
- Tigers at Giants: World Series Game 1 preview
- Prices for 2012 World Series tickets lower than 2010
- Cardinals at Giants: NLCS Game 7 Preview
Breaking News On Your Device
2013 Opening Day
2013 MLB Calendar
- Jan. 9: Baseball Hall of Fame inductee Class of 2013 announced.
- Jan. 18: Exchange of salary arbitration figures.
- Feb. 1-18: Salary arbitration hearings in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Feb. 9: Giants Fan Fest at AT&T Park, 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
- Feb. 13: Voluntary reporting date for pitchers, catchers and injured players.
- Feb. 16: Voluntary reporting date for other players.
- Feb. 17: First full workout.
- Feb. 20: Mandatory reporting date.
- Mar. 2-11: Teams may renew contracts of unsigned players.
- Mar. 13: Last day to place player on unconditional release waivers and pay 30 days termination pay instead of 45.
- Mar. 27: Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay his full 2013 salary.
- Mar. 31: Opening Day. Active rosters reduced to 25 players.
- Jun. 6: First-Year Player Draft.
- Jul. 12: 5 p.m. ET, signing deadline for players selected in the First-Year Player Draft.
- Jul. 16: All-Star Game, Citi Field, New York.
- Jul. 28: Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Cooperstown, N.Y..
- Jul. 31: Non-waiver trade deadline, 4 p.m. ET.
- Sep. 1: Active rosters increased from 25 to 40 players.
- Oct. 23: World Series begins.